Sunday, March 13, 2011

Thames, Purvis, & Oak Grove Elementary...what a week!

This week has not been a typical spring break, but it has definitely been worthwhile!  Even though I wasn’t on the beach, I got to travel to four schools and speak to seven groups of girls.  It was such a whirlwind week!  I spent Wednesday afternoon at Purvis Middle School talking to their 6th, 7th, and 8th grade girls.  They were such a fabulous group!  Thursday was at Thames Elementary with their 5th and 6th grade girls.  Last but not least, Friday I visited Purvis Upper Elementary and Oak Grove Upper Elementary.  The one thing I enjoy more than anything about my school visits is answering the girls' questions at the end.  Questions vary from group to group, but the most popular questions include: “Is your crown made of real diamonds?”, “Are you married?”, and “How does that thing stay on your head?”  This week, many of the questions were more like song requests.  Luckily for the girls, I love a good karaoke party!  Here are this week’s top requests:

-Firework, Katy Perry
-Our Song, Taylor Swift
-Temporary Home/Jesus Take the Wheel, Carrie Underwood
-Don’t Stop Believing, Journey

Needless to say, these girls have great taste in music.

One thing I really tried to reinforce with the girls this week is the importance in believing in ourselves and our dreams.  I think we should all be our own #1 FAN!  The world is full of critics; we shouldn’t be too critical of ourselves and lose faith in our own potential.  With that said, here is my quote for the week:
                                                    
“No one can make you feel inferior without your consent” –Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment