Thursday, January 27, 2011

Go CONFIDENTLY!


I had such an inspiring day today at the Hattiesburg Junior Auxiliary’s Big Sis/Little Sis luncheon!  The JA put together an amazing afternoon for an amazing group of girls from Hawkins Elementary School.  I had a chance to eat lunch with a few of the girls and get to know them before my presentation.  I love speaking to large audiences, but there is something extremely special about talking to a small group of 15 girls!  It becomes so much more personal when I can see every face in the audience and talk to the girls on a more one-on-one level.  Once again, I was moved and inspired by the young ladies I met today and I was reminded about how much I love motivational speaking.  Sometimes it feels like I’m talking, but not being truly heard; however, today I could see the light bulbs going off in these girl’s minds like something I said really resonated with them.  There is no better feeling than knowing that there is a chance that someone in that room today left feeling more confident about them self and truly learned something.  The one thing I wanted the girls to learn today is that they truly can do and be anything in this world if they believe it and work hard to achieve it.  So many times we set low expectations for ourselves and what we can accomplish, and I want the next generation of girls to know that there are no limits except the ones we put on ourselves!  That’s why I end my presentation with my all-time favorite quote from Henry David Thoreau who says, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams.  Live the life that you’ve imagined!”

No comments:

Post a Comment